“Be as careful of the books you read, as of the company you keep; for your habits and character will be as much influenced by the former as the latter.”
– Paxton Hood
Monkeebooks is committed to searching out good reading materials. We have started a list of lists for you here but we also have to mention that not every resource listed on this page has been vetted, please proceed with caution. Please contact us should you find any lists that you would like to share here:
Books of Lists:
1. Honey for a Child’s Heart by Gladys Hunt.
2. Books Children Love by Elizabeth Wilson & Susan Macaulay.
3. Books That Build Character: A Guide to Teaching Your Child Moral Values Through Stories by Robert Coles.
4. Read for the Heart: Whole Books for WholeHearted Families by Sarah Clarkson.
5. Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to Our Children Will Change Their Lives Forever by Mem Fox.
6. The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease.
7. The Read-Aloud Family: Making Meaningful and Lasting Connections with Your Kids by Sarah Mackenzie.
8. Serious Fun: Homeschooling with Real Books by Kristen J. Draeger.
Monkeebooks MUST HAVES:
1. How to Read a Book by Mortimer Adler – Did you know that the vast majority of people read at an elementary level? Written in 1940, in the days before T.V. and the Internet, Adler expounds on the mind-numbing draw of advertising, the dumbing-down of our society and why Johnny Can’t Read. How to Read a Book assists us to classify the different genres of books and the approach to take for each genre. Mr. Adler urges us to read with new eyes, create better reading habits and to actually enjoy reading. There is a recommended reading list in this book, however, we highly recommend it to all home school parents & teens for different reasons.
Websites of Lists / Book sources:
Answers in Genesis. Wholesome Reading for Young People
Classical Christian Education Support Loop. 1,000 Good Books List
Deep Roots at Home by Jacqueline. Web blog, Character-Building Book Resource for Raising Younger Boys, part 1.
100 Whole Hearted Books
2018 Reading List
Free Ebooks by Project Gutenberg
Goodreads – A Christian Classical School Reading List (starts with 1st Grade but there is a menu to see other grades. https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/38178.A_Christian_Classical_School_Reading_List_1st_grade
Institute for Excellence in Writing (IEW). Books for Boys and Other Children Who Would Rather Make Forts All Day. https://iew.com/sites/default/files/videocourse/fileattachment/TB-Resources.pdf
Literary Classics and Children’s Literary Classics Book Awards and Reviews by Taj Mahal Publishing, Inc./Wildflower Press. Top 100 List of the All Time Best Classic Literature for Children and Young Adults.
The Good and the Beautiful Book List by Jenny Phillips. There is a small fee for this comprehensive list with a rating system & review notes for each book. All of the books on Ms. Phillips’ list are vetted through her standards of avoiding profane language, feelings of negativity or darkness, violence, etc.
Amazon Prime New Dimension Media videos. These aren’t books but there comes a time when your family requires down time (illnesses / rest / or maybe just a reward). Most of these videos are approximately 20 minutes long and are free on Amazon Prime. They are tastefully educational. The mom at Our Cozy Den lists the hundreds of videos in an organized way. http://ourcozyden.com/index.php/2016/07/06/new-dimension/